2017 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2017 16:34:17 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] ENCROACHMENT, ENERGY: New York "stood up for wind energy"

Another Voice: Senators stood up for wind energy, military

By Leo Goff
Buffalo News (NY)
July 6, 2017

The New York Legislature’s 2017 session ended without bringing Senate Bill 1755 to the floor. I’d like to personally thank those legislators who stood in opposition to this bill, which would have banned wind turbines from being located near military bases because of “operational” concerns. From a military perspective the ban was unnecessary, and limiting energy choices would counter efforts by the military to diversify its energy options to improve base resiliency and operational integrity.

The bill would have covered thousands of square miles – more than 50 percent of the state – severely restricting diverse energy production, infringing on the property rights of rural New Yorkers and putting up unnecessary roadblocks to free enterprise – all in a misguided attempt to “protect” the military.

Having served for 30 years in the U.S. Navy, including command of a nuclear submarine, I know that when it comes to military readiness and protecting our national security, we must not compromise.

…

For the entire column, see
http://buffalonews.com/2017/07/06/another-voice-senators-stood-wind-energy-military/

Executive Director