2018 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2018 20:42:36 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] PFAS: Health questions at Peterson (CO) and other Air Force Bases

Are toxic chemicals at Air Force bases leading to cancer, low birth weight?

CBS NEWS
January 8, 2018

For 25 years, Dan Cruz delivered mail at the Peterson Air Force Base and drank the water. Then came cancer – thyroid, prostate, testicular – he said never before seen in his family.

"I'm the only one that's been diagnosed with cancer not once, not twice, but three times. People on my route… cancer has come upon them and sometimes stage 4," Cruz told CBS News correspondent Barry Petersen.

The cause could be firefighting foam used since the 1970s at Air Force bases and airports across the country, something meant to save lives that may have harmed them instead. The foam contains highly fluorinated chemicals, known as PFCs. It is suspected of causing some cancers and underweight births.

…

For the entire story, see
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/air-force-base-epa-toxic-chemicals-pfc-cancer-low-birth-weight/

Executive Director