2018 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2018 21:37:57 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] REUSE: "Former Navy Land Transfers to Middletown," RI

Former Navy Land Transfers to Middletown

By James Merolla
Newport This Week (RI)
February 1, 2018

Town Solicitor Peter Regan signing with members of Middletown Town Council and Town Administrator Shawn Brown (in the back) looking on. (Photo by James Merolla)
A 10-year dream has become a land windfall reality for Middletown.

In a formal ceremony in council chambers on Jan. 30, the Middletown Town Council signed documents to acquire 3.25 acres of open Navy land that abuts 13.5 acres of town-owned property along West Main Road.

“This is great news for all Middletown residents,” Town Council President Robert Sylvia said. “Some of us have been working on this project for over a decade. I personally believe that this is one of the most important acquisitions the town has ever made. When we reached out to U.S. Senator Jack Reed, the senator and his staff immediately stepped up and supported us through the process. Without the senator’s intervention, this day would not have come.

“Going forward, we plan to seek public input in terms of how to best use the property to benefit the town and generate economic benefits and tax relief for our residents,” he said. “We have anxiously awaited [the official transfer]. Personally, I believe that this property, if developed properly, could afford our taxpayers today and for many years to come with a well-deserved tax relief, while maintaining the quality of life that we enjoy and that is envied by many towns.”

…

For the entire article, see
http://www.newportthisweek.com/news/2018-02-01/Around_Town/Former_Navy_Land_Transfers_to_Middletown.html

Executive Director