2018 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2018 22:07:57 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] GLOBAL, MUNITIONS: "The Vietnam War Is Over. The Bombs Remain."

The Vietnam War Is Over. The Bombs Remain.

by ARIEL GARFINKEL
New York Times
March 20, 2018

Shading my eyes from the bright sun, I stared into the bomb crater amid the verdant rice paddies. While it had been nearly 50 years since the last American planes riddled the countryside near Danang in central Vietnam, craters still pockmark the land. Some of the deep depressions remain dry while others, a testament to the ingenuity of the villagers, serve as watering holes for the oxen that farmers harness to till their fields.

It was my first week in Vietnam, where I would spend the summer of 2016 conducting research. I was studying the efficacy of international law, namely whether legal remedies exist for civilian victims of unexploded ordnance and chemical weapons from the Vietnam War. I had arrived well versed in the numbers: America dropped three times more ordnance over Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia than all sides did during World War II. Estimates are that at least 350,000 tons of live bombs and mines remain in Vietnam, and that it will take 300 years to clear them from the Vietnamese landscape at the current rate.

…

For the entire column, see
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/20/opinion/vietnam-war-agent-orange-bombs.html

Executive Director