2018 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2018 21:35:00 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] PFAS: "More Money Needed for" Guard base cleanup

Guard Chief: More Money Needed for Base Contaminated Water Cleanup

By Matthew Cox
Military Times
April 17, 2018

The chief of the National Guard Bureau told lawmakers today that the Guard doesn't have enough money to clean up the potentially hundreds of drinking water systems contaminated by toxic firefighting foam used on Guard installations.

The Department of Defense has identified 401 military installations where there are "one or more areas with known and suspected release" of hazardous fire-fighting foam into water supplies, Sen. Richard Durbin, D-Illinois., the ranking member of the Senate Appropriations Committee's defense subcommittee, said during a April 17 hearing.

"What my colleges have told me is that the use of this fire-retardant foam has resulted in a public health hazard and a danger to water supplies in the area of these installations," Durbin said.

…

For the entire article, wee
https://www.military.com/dodbuzz/2018/04/17/guard-chief-more-money-needed-base-contaminated-water-cleanup.html

Executive Director