2018 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2018 09:54:53 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] PFAS: "What's the government doing about it [at former Wurtsmith Air Force Base, MI]?

PFAS: What's the government doing about it?

By LESTER GRAHAM
Michigan Public Radio
October 3, 2018

One of the contaminated PFAS sites first documented in Michigan was in Oscoda Township near the former Wurtsmith Air Force Base. The base has been closed for years.  Firefighting training there used a fire suppressant foam containing a PFAS chemical.

Catherine Larive lives in the neighboring Van Etten Lake community. Water there is contaminated with PFAS. She is a member of a citizens group called the Restoration Advisory Board. She says people have a lot of questions.

“What about the water? Can my kids swim in the water? Can I bathe in it? How do I know whether my well’s contaminated or not? How do I get it checked?”

She usually refers people with questions to the local health department’s website which has lots of information.

…

For the entire story, see
http://www.michiganradio.org/post/pfas-whats-government-doing-about-it

Executive Director