2019 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2019 17:48:56 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] PFAS: Rep. Dan Kildee: "Action needed to address groundwater contamination at military installations"

Commentary: Action needed to address groundwater contamination at military installations

By Rep. Dan Kildee (D-Michigan)
Military Times
February 5, 2019

When a person steps up and makes the personal sacrifice to serve our country, the U.S. military promises to take care of them. This is central to the fundamental contract our country makes with the brave men and women who join our armed forces. The military also makes a similar commitment to the communities that embrace service members and the military’s mission. Unfortunately, too often we have fallen short of keeping our commitment to those serving, their families, and the communities that support them.

According to a Government Accountability Office (GAO) report, the military has identified 401 military installations that have known or potential releases of per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances, commonly referred to as PFAS. Toxic PFAS chemicals have leached into drinking water around many military bases and has been linked to multiple serious health issues, including thyroid disease and kidney cancer. Thus, many service members, veterans and communities living around military installations are dealing with the health impacts of PFAS exposure.

To better honor our commitment to protect veterans and public health, the military and Congress must work together more urgently to clean-up PFAS chemical contamination and take care of those already exposed.

…

For the entire column, see
https://www.militarytimes.com/opinion/commentary/2019/02/05/commentary-action-needed-to-address-groundwater-contamination-at-military-installations/

Executive Director