2019 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2019 12:54:20 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] In the absence of funding …

In the absence of funding …

The Center for Public Environmental Oversight began as CAREER/PRO at San Francisco State University in 1993. I was named Director in 1994. It changed its name to CPEO and moved to the Tides Center before landing at the Pacific Studies Center, a small Mountain View non-profit that I have headed since 1970. While our original program included job training at environmental sites, our major focus has been to promote and assist community engagement in the cleanup of military facilities, Superfund sites, and brownfields.

Over the years we have visited scores, if not hundreds of communities to provide technical assistance, participated in innumerable conferences and committees, and published literally thousands of newsgroup messages. We built an extensive library of reports and categorized files on military environmental issues, Superfund, and brownfields.

Our principal source of funds was the federal government, notably U.S. EPA and the Department of Defense. Last year the last of that money ran out, and there is no immediate prospect for new funding. I am no longer on salary, so I am no longer able to visit and help contaminated communities. The donations we receive do not even cover our rent.

So we will immediately scale back our postings on the Brownfields Internet Forum and Military Environmental Forum. Unless new revenue is found, we will terminate the newsgroups and close our office/library by March, 2020. We are looking for repositories to take our material.

I had hoped to continue this work for several more years, but in the absence of funding it doesn’t make sense.

Lenny

Executive Director
P.O. Box 998, Mountain View, CA 94042
Voice/Fax: 650/961-8918