2019 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2019 10:59:44 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] FUEL: Kirtland Air Foce Base (NM) remediation

State, Local Officials Raise Concerns About Kirtland Fuel Spill Cleanup

By HANNAH COLTON
KUNM Radio (NM)
MAY 16, 2019

To hear Kirtland Air Force Base officials tell it, the cleanup of a decades-old jet fuel spill in Southeast Albuquerque is going great. Their pump-and-treat system is shrinking a major swath of the pollution in the city’s aquifer. But there’s a long history of distrust between the military and the community on this project, and there’s still a lot more to clean up.

Mike Richardson carried a red cooler full of water sampling equipment into a small building filled with mechanical buzz. Richardson is a water quality supervisor with the Albuquerque Bernalillo County Water Utility Authority (ABCWUA). We’re in the International District, at one of the seven drinking water wells around Kirtland Air Force Base. His team tests them every month for contaminants.

“They’re the first ones that are gonna see anything, so those are the ones we sample for that,” he said.

…

For the entire article, see
https://www.kunm.org/post/state-local-officials-raise-concerns-about-kirtland-fuel-spill-cleanup

Executive Director