2019 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2019 12:26:13 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] PFAS: "Editorial: The Navy’s stalling in Hartsville [PA] must end"

The Navy’s stalling in Hartsville must end

Editorial
Bucks County Courier Times (PA)
July 24, 2019

It’s time for the Navy to take responsibility for groundwater contamination in Hartsville and connect affected homes to clean water.

The Environmental Protection Agency is suggesting the Hartsville Fire Co. is not to blame for groundwater contamination in the Hartsville section of Warwick. It’s time for the Navy to take responsibility and connect affected homes to clean water.

We’ve always considered the Navy - and not the fire company - to be the prime suspect. After all, the Navy operated the former Naval Air Warfare Center and the former Willow Grove Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base in nearby Warminster and Horsham, respectively, and admitted to employing firefighting foams containing toxic PFAS chemicals that were later found in water wells used by more than 70,000 residents.

The Navy has already spent about $58 million locally to provide access to clean water, perform environmental testing and stop the chemicals from leaving the two bases. It has so far agreed to connect some 250 homes in Bucks and Montgomery counties to public water supplies as a result of the contamination.

…

For the entire editorial, see
https://www.buckscountycouriertimes.com/opinion/20190724/editorial-navys-stalling-in-hartsville-must-end/1

Executive Director