2019 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2019 16:50:19 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] FORMER SITES: "Local support sought to make Gould Island [RI] cleanup a reality"

Local support sought to make Gould Island cleanup a reality

By DAVID SOMMERS
Jamestown Press (RI)
September 12, 2019

Gould Island is our “Jewel in the Bay,” part of Jamestown with a unique history and panoramic views of the bay and Pell Bridge.

Gould has been unusable for a century since the U.S. Navy took it over. Now is our time to reclaim the island for future Jamestowners and Rhode Islanders.

What’s been going on out there? Since 2017, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has been testing for contaminants left by the Navy in the 1950s. The mission is to remediate environmental contamination sufficiently to allow a future use specified by the Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management. That agency has stated the island will continue to be a wildlife sanctuary, off-limits during nesting season and available “for public recreational use” during the off-season. The corps has agreed to clean contamination to that level, which will take many years.

…

For the entire column, see
https://www.jamestownpress.com/articles/local-support-sought-to-make-gould-island-cleanup-a-reality/

Executive Director