2019 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2019 07:46:48 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] PFAS, COMMUNITIES: Former Wurtsmith AFB, MI: "Others battling water contamination attend RAB meeting, press conference"

Others battling water contamination attend RAB meeting, press conference

By Jenny Haglund
Iosco News (MI)
September 17, 2019

OSCODA – Intolerable. A social injustice. Unacceptable. These are a few of the words used by attendees of the Sept. 11 Wurtsmith Restoration Advisory Board (RAB) meeting, when discussing  the per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) contamination in and around Oscoda Township.

Prior to the start of the meeting in the Robert J. Parks Library, a press conference was held to demand immediate action from the U.S. Air Force (USAF) in cleaning up PFAS from the former Wurtsmith Air Force Base (WAFB).

“Oscoda is a beacon for Michigan and the nation. As the first PFAS site in Michigan and the first U.S. military operated site in the world, we have been dealing with PFAS contamination for far too long,” said Tony Spaniola, Oscoda homeowner and member of Need Our Water (NOW). “After years of delays and obstruction from the federal government, we are here today to send a clear message: Take action now to clean up the PFAS contamination in Oscoda. No more foot dragging, and no more excuses.”

…

For the entire article, see
http://www.iosconews.com/oscoda_press/news/article_10f3a1f8-d960-11e9-b897-57ce07ebf97a.html

Executive Director