2019 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2019 16:51:52 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] ENERGY, CLEANUP: "Air Force Sees Return In Wind Energy Investment"

Air Force Sees Return In Wind Energy Investment

By JESSICA HILL
Mashpee Enterprise (MA)
October 23, 2019

For an organization whose job it is to clean water polluted over the years by activities at Joint Base Cape Cod, the Air Force Civil Engineer Center only saw fit that it not contribute more pollution at the same time.

As an environmental clean-up organization, the Air Force Civil Engineer Center started to realize that its operations were doing more harm than good in regard to how they were getting energy.

“At the time, when we were looking at how much energy we were using, our energy bill was $2.5 million just for our electricity,” said Rose H. Forbes, the remediation program manager for the Air Force Civil Engineer Center. “It takes a lot of energy to move the water from an extraction well and put it back. We were evaluating not only the cost, but we were looking at where the power comes from.”

Most of the center’s electricity was coming from fossil fuel facilities, Ms. Forbes said, and was producing a lot of carbon dioxide emissions and inorganic compounds.

…

For the entire article, see
https://www.capenews.net/mashpee/news/air-force-sees-return-in-wind-energy-investment/article_d0e9ceb7-0588-5a45-b3dc-2e4821432583.html

Executive Director