2021 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <LSiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 21:42:36 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] PFAS, BIOTA: "Advisory area shrinks around Wurtsmith Air Force Base" (MI)

PFAS deer advisory area shrinks around Wurtsmith Air Force Base

by Garret Ellison
mlive.com
September 2, 2021

OSCODA, MI — Michigan health officials have shrunk the perimeter of an Iosco County advisory area where hunters shouldn’t eat deer meet due to toxic PFAS contamination near the former Wurtsmith Air Force Base in Oscoda.

The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) announced on Thursday, Sept. 2 that a “Do Not Eat” advisory perimeter around Clark’s Marsh was shrinking to a three-mile radius around the marsh from the previous five-mile radius set in 2018.

The advisory area is now just under 31 square miles.

“As we have now gathered additional data about deer, PFAS levels and their proximity to Clark’s Marsh, we have updated our health advisory,” said Dr. Joneigh Khaldun, chief medical executive at DHHS. “We will continue to monitor PFAS levels in wildlife to help protect the health and safety of Michiganders who hunt and fish in this area.”

…

For the entire article, see
https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2021/09/pfas-deer-advisory-area-shrinks-around-wurtsmith-air-force-base.html

—