2023 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <LSiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 13:07:58 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] PFAS: "Chesapeake Beach is the most contaminated place" in Maryland

PFAS study by Maryland Department of the Environment says Chesapeake Beach is the most contaminated place in the state.
The town may have the highest levels of PFAS contamination in soil and surface water worldwide.

By Pat Elder
Military Poisons
December 21, 2023

We knew the PFAS contamination in Chesapeake Beach was severe, so it is good to see the state confirm our findings. Too bad they aren’t being more responsible in issuing more stringent fish advisories.

Many were shocked two years ago when the Maryland Department of the Environment, (MDE) published results showing PFAS contamination in Piscataway Creek flowing out of Joint Base Andrews at 3,193 parts per trillion. After all, it only requires PFOS in single digits in the water to begin the bioaccumulation process in fish.  The levels draining from the Naval Research Laboratory-Chesapeake Bay Detachment in Chesapeake Beach are three times higher, according to the newly released results. The MDE has banned consumption of several species of fish in Piscataway Creek, but there are no fish advisories for the Chesapeake Bay.

We’ll look at the levels of the cancer-causing chemicals in two streams contaminated by the Navy in Chesapeake Beach. We’ll look at two streams contaminated by the Army and the NSA at Fort Meade, and we’ll glimpse at the state’s data on the surface water.

For the entire article, see
https://www.militarypoisons.org/latest-news/maryland-department-of-the-environment-mde-releases-surface-water-data-for-pfas

—

Lenny Siegel