2024 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <LSiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2024 05:32:37 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] REUSE: "Aurora mayor calls for the Colorado Community College System's Lowry Campus to be sold"

Aurora mayor calls for the Colorado Community College System's Lowry Campus to be sold

By Katie Parkins
May 14, 2024

Aurora Mayor Mike Coffman is calling for the Colorado Community College System's Lowry Campus to be sold, according to a post he made on Facebook.

"Under no circumstances should CCCS, given their 30-year track record of neglect with the property, continue as the owner and the sale of the property could benefit our state financially. I have discussed this matter with Governor Polis, and I will continue to press him on it as well as our state legislators," Coffman said in his post.

When Lowry Air Force Base closed in 1994, part of the land was given to CCCS as part of a 30-year deal that limited its use to higher education purposes only, Coffman said.

The Community College of Aurora has only repurposed a few of the base's old buildings for its use over the last three decades, according to the mayor.

"All of the other buildings have been left to deteriorate to the point that they have created a large, blighted area in our city," Coffman said.

The school already has plans to move most operations to a new facility that's under construction in Aurora, according to Coffman, as the 30-year deal for Lowry Air Force Base land ends in August.

…

For the entire story, see
https://www.denver7.com/news/front-range/aurora/aurora-mayor-calls-for-the-colorado-community-college-systems-lowry-campus-to-be-sold

—