2024 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <LSiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2024 23:10:27 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] RADIATION: "Army Corps finishes cleaning contaminated soil near Florissant elementary school, " MO

Army Corps finishes cleaning contaminated soil near Florissant elementary school

By Sarah Fentem
St. Louis Public Radio (MO)
June 5, 2024

The Army Corps of Engineers in St. Louis has completed moving more than two Olympic-size swimming pools' worth of soil contaminated with radioactive waste from around a north St. Louis County elementary school.

Officials from the Corps’ environmental remediation program on Wednesday announced the completion of the project from the site near Coldwater Creek and Jana Elementary School in Florissant.

“Our primary goal here is to ensure that all contaminated sites are thoroughly remediated to safeguard the well-being of the community,” said Jeremy Idleman, a spokesman for the cleanup. “That's our mission, and that's what we're going to keep doing.”

The site near the school is one of many the Corps is remediating along the 14-mile Coldwater Creek, which runs through north St. Louis County near Florissant, Hazelwood and St. Louis Lambert International Airport.

…

For the entire story, see
https://www.stlpr.org/health-science-environment/2024-06-05/army-corps-finishes-cleaning-contaminated-soil-near-florissant-elementary-school

—