1998 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Bruce Klafter <bklafter@orrick.com>
Date: 15 Jan 1998 18:02:02
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Re: Top 10 Functional Brownfields

I think the Top 10 list is interesting (and possibly suitable for the
Letterman show), but it ignores the factors which are really
determinative (in my experience) of whether or not redevelopment is
successful.  Those factors include:  location and other "pure" real estate
variables; the nature and extent of contamination; current regulatory
status; and ability of the parties to bear some of the risks or to guarantee
coverage in some fashion (i.e insurance, indemnities, etc.)  I think any of
the types of sites on the list can be successfully redeveloped if these
factors come together in the right way.

Bruce Klafter, Esq.
Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe
San Francisco