1998 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: CHELSEA ALBUCHER <ALBUCHER.CHELSEA@epamail.epa.gov>
Date: 01 Apr 1998 10:26:13
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Re: SUGGESTIONS FOR THE EPA BROWNFIELDS '98 CONFERENCE?

I had not made a panel/workshop suggestion but here are a few off the
top of my head:

1. Community Development Corporations Role in Brownfield
Redevelopment
Purpose:  To highlight CDCs as a brownfield redevelopment resource
and share how cities, states and federal agencies can better work with
CDCs to achieve common goals.

CDCs are uniquely positioned to guide the investment of public dollars in
brownfield redevelopment because they are acquainted with brownfield
properties of high 'community value' and local development priorities.
CDC's have experience in all aspects of brownfield redevelopment; from
community involvement to inform redevelopment efforts to actual
commercial, residential, mixed use and open space redevelopment.

The workshop would explore how a select handful of CDCs have
promoted brownfield redevelopment and conclude with
recommendations on how cities, states and federal agencies can
support local CDC efforts to revitalize neighborhoods.

Panel recommendations:
Trish Settles, DSNI
Urban Edge or other CDC that has turned over BF properties

I also strongly recommend that all panels have a 'community' or EJ panel
participant -- My attendance at the last two meetings left me with the
(frustrated) impression that people are not talking to one another

Residential Reuse -- Affordable Housing
Purpose:  To explore whether brownfield redevelopment offers
opportunity to meet the pressing need for affordable housing.
Presentation of case studies, identification of resources
Panel:
Jersey City
HUD
 . . other

AND THE SAME FOR OPEN SPACE

---------------------------------
A workshop on other EPA urban environmental initiatives and CBEP  to
share approaches from different regions and identify successful
methods to address the full spectrum of urban environmental issues

The purpose is to help cities and states understand the full range of
EPAs committment to the urban environment and identify future steps.

I look forward to knowing what you think of these recommendations -
since discussing ideas usually helps to develop them.
Also, can you share the other recommendations you have received?

Thanks!
Chelsea

>>> KENT BENJAMIN <BENJAMIN.KENT@epamail.epa.gov> 03/30/98
07:45pm >>>
Please give me a little more detail on your panel suggestion
such as format, purpose, speakers.  We are going to use
some type of review panel to select the panels that will be
featured at the conference. So the more detail you can
provide, the better.

Thanks

Kent Benjamin
Environmental Justice Coordinator (MC 5101)
Office of Solid Waste and Emergency Response
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
202-260-2822, fax 202-260-6606