2001 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 2 Jan 2001 17:59:37 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] "Brownfield renewal"

To read the complete article go to:
http://www.inman.com/InmanStories.asp?ID=22424&CatType=R

Brownfield renewal

Old refinery site in S.F. Bay area to become 880-home community

Wednesday, December 27, 2000

Inman News Features

It's big, it’s costly and it used to be toxic.

In Hercules, Calif., on the eastern side of the San Francisco Bay, a piece
of land that fits that very description is on its way to a long-awaited
change to something substantially more productive.

Days are counting down to when construction crews will start moving earth
and getting down to the business of building a community on the 200 acres
of former brownfield land.

"I was there the day we first looked at the site," Tim Unger, president of
Catellus Residential Group, told the East Bay Business Times. "When I
walked the property on that rainy, blustery day, I stood there and thought,
`If you could get rid of that refinery, this would be the world's greatest
residential community.'"

It cost more than $20 million and three years of intensive cleanup to get
the brownfield--one of hundreds of thousands of such sites around the
U.S.-- to the point where it was ready for an 880-home master-planned
development.

continued...

http://www.inman.com/InmanStories.asp?ID=22424&CatType=R