2001 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: petestrauss1@home.com
Date: 28 Feb 2001 22:17:59 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Re: [CPEO-BIF] "Brownfields widespread, confidential Ohio industrialpollution

I agree with most of what Lenny has stated regarding this issue.
However, it seems to me that the questions posed are definitional and
threshold issues. Questions include: Do we have a uniform definition of a
Brownfield site?  Is a site a Brownfield site before someone shows interest
in developing it?  How much does the property have to be contaminated
before it is reported as a Brownfield site?

Also there maybe other ways to approach this problem if a community wants
to know whats in its backyard. Right-to-know data, Toxic Release Inventory
data, CERCLIS lists, and local information may all be useful in developing
a list of potentially contaminated properties.

Peter Strauss