2001 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 28 Aug 2001 23:35:03 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Re: [CPEO-BIF] Whitman Announces $4 Million Pilot Project To CleanupUndergroun

I want to make sure that readers understand the importance of the
Whitman announcement. The "Petroleum exclusion" in the Superfund Law
(CERCLA) has kept recipients of EPA Brownfields Grants from using that
money to investigate or remediate properties believed to be contaminated
by petroleum products and no other contaminants. Since properties with
leaking petroleum tanks probably represent the largest category of
"brownfields" in the country, measured by the number of sites, this will
significantly widen the agency's efforts to support environmental redevelopment.

Still, it will probably take Congressional action to make it easy to
combine Brownfields money with "USTFields" funds in integrated projects.
If anyone knows otherwise, I'd like to hear about it.

Lenny

c/o PSC, 222B View St., Mountain View, CA 94041
lsiegel@cpeo.org