2004 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 8 Dec 2004 16:40:09 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Twin Lakes (Roseville, MN) and TCE

Group vows project review
Court action planned over Twin Lakes approval

BY STEVE SCOTT
Pioneer Press (MN)
December 8, 2004

A citizens group failed to force a new environmental review of a planned
retail-office-housing development in Roseville, but organizers say they
will go to court to get Monday's City Council decision overruled.

The council denied a petition from the Friends of Twin Lakes, who say a
review conducted in 2001 is no longer valid because the proposed project
headed by the Rottlund Cos. has changed significantly.

"It's not over," said Joy Anderson, president of the group of neighbors
in the 280-acre Twin Lakes development area. "Of course we're
disappointed that they won't listen to the people. But on the other
hand, we weren't surprised."

"We have new information we did not know in 2001," said Council Member
Amy Ihlan, who also sided with the Friends of Twin Lakes petition. "TCE,
a known carcinogen, has been discovered in area groundwater, but we
don't know where it's coming from. We're going to risk public health if
we don't know where the TCE is located."

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/10363009.htm?1c