2005 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 23 Feb 2005 18:45:39 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Ithaca (NY) vapor intrusion site

DEC alters posture on Emerson

JENNIE DALEY
Ithaca Journal (NY)
February 23, 2005

ITHACA -- The Department of Environmental Conservation has reclassified
the Emerson Power Transmission factory cleanup site as a 'significant
threat to the environment.'

The DEC changed the site from a Class 4 -- a site that has been properly
closed but requires continued maintenance and/or monitoring -- to a
Class 2.

Since then, 49 homes have been tested to see if TCE vapors have
infiltrated homes downhill from the plant and more than one has received
a vapor mitigation system from Emerson due to TCE levels.

"I think reclassification is a good idea so we'll get a full
investigation of what went on at the plant in terms of pollution," said
Peter Glick, who lives on Park Street, just outside the zone where homes
are being tested.

http://www.theithacajournal.com/news/stories/20050223/localnews/2017213.html