2006 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: "Walsh, William" <WALSHW@pepperlaw.com>
Date: 17 Apr 2006 00:21:38 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: RE: [CPEO-BIF] Model examples of Sustainable Brownfields?

I think that some more concrete sense of sustainable development might be
useful before the examples are provided.

Off the top of my head, one might come up with a hierarchy of sustainability
that considers in the following factors on a scale of, for example, one to
ten (pick your favorite numerical range).

1.	The remedy was select in a transparent and fair manner (i.e., it
involved meaningful public involvement), including, but not limited to
addressing environmental justice concerns (good process)

2.	The degree to which the project has built in throughout the length
of the redevelopment continuing public involvement

3.	The degree to which the decision making process has meaningful
checks and balances and, where appropriate, independent technical review.

4.	Plus protection of human health and the environment

5.	Clear and funded long stewardship of the site

6.	Significant removal and destruction of toxic chemicals

7.	Significant removal and reuse/recycling of a significant amount of
the chemicals at the site

8.	Significant efforts to employee local residents

9.	The degree to which the project is integrated into the local economy
and creates spin-off jobs in the community.

10.	The project achieves within a reasonable period of time
concentrations in soil, groundwater, surface water, and air that allow
unrestricted use of the property

11.	The degree to which the project has built in incentives to achieve
concentrations in soil, groundwater, surface water, and air that allow
eventual unrestricted use of the property.

If you want to be more complex, you could weight each factor in order of
tits importance.

The end result could be a rough numerical score or a table that has +s, 0s,
and -s (like Consumer Reports).

This email is for the use of the intended recipient(s) only.  If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and then delete it.  If you are not the intended recipient, you must not keep, use, disclose, copy or distribute this email without the author's prior permission.  We have taken precautions to minimize the risk of transmitting software viruses, but we advise you to carry out your own virus checks on any attachment to this message.  We cannot accept liability for any loss or damage caused by software viruses.  The information contained in this communication may be confidential and may be subject to the attorney-client privilege. If you are the intended recipient and you do not wish to receive similar electronic messages from us in future then please respond to the sender to this effect.

--- Begin Message ---
Hi Lenny.

Quick question if you were asked to identify 3 or 4 of the best examples
nationwide of brownfield projects that best met the principles of
sustainable development -- which ones would it be?

I'm in Europe and perhaps you could pose this to the CPEO list, since my
emails will bounce via the webportal address I use on the road.

US EPA talks alot about this, and the Phoenix Awards are supposed to be
the best of the best, yet I wonder if it measures up for most of the
list serv members in the truest sense of the term "sustainable
development." It seems the equity component is often quite weak....

Look forward to the comments....

Kind regards,

Bob

--