2006 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 25 Oct 2006 16:25:56 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Subsidies

Long before I ever heard the word Brownfields, I worked with community groups around the Southwestern U.S. challenging the way that their local government were offering subsidies to high-tech companies to locate in their communities.

We argued that it is possible to attract investment by investing public resources in education, infrastructure, housing, and even environmental protection. Companies that have a choice where to locate need those investments, not only because they directly benefit, but because they need to recruit employees from a global workforce, and those potential employees look at the qualify of life in areas where they might move.

While direct funding or tax abatement may indeed be useful, it should be viewed within the context of a full range of public investments designed to promote economic development. The advantage of spending money on education, infrastructure, housing, and even environmental protection is that it benefits existing residents, too.

Lenny

-- Lenny Siegel Director, Center for Public Environmental Oversight c/o PSC, 278-A Hope St., Mountain View, CA 94041 Voice: 650/961-8918 or 650/969-1545 Fax: 650/961-8918 http://www.cpeo.org