2006 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 6 Nov 2006 22:54:42 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Other contaminants in schools

Readers of this listserve know that we've been paying a good deal of attention lately to the exposure of schoolchildren to hazardous substances. Our focus has been on pollutants in the soil and groundwater, but students are also exposed to toxic substances from the buildings themselves.

We've just heard from one parent, Dr. Daniel Lefkowitz, who is trying to get regulatory agencies to deal with one such problem, PCB-laden caulking material. - LS

Lefkowitz explains, on his web site:

"How This Started

"I am the parent of a child attending the French Hill Elementary School in Yorktown Heights and in the fall of 2004, discovered hazardous levels of PCB in the window caulking and soil around his school.

"Why did I test for PCB in caulking? In the summer of 2004, I read an investigative study by Dr. Bob Herrick of the Harvard School of Public Health who tested for PCB in window caulking in 24 buildings built before 1977. (Note: the EPA banned PCB in 1977). His study found that one third of the buildings tested contained caulking with hazardous levels of PCB.

"Since my son's school was built in 1969, and had its windows replaced in 2003, I was curious to find out whether the removed caulking contained PCB. If there was PCB, how high was the level? Did the contractors release PCB into the classroom during the window removal process? To help answer some of my questions, I spoke with the EPA. The EPA suggested that I find a piece of caulking on the ground and send it to a lab for testing. Lucky for me, I found caulking on the ground left by the contractors from the work they performed one year prior. The sample came back with levels of 38,000 parts per million (ppm) of Aroclor 1260. Since the EPA's allowable authorized limit for PCB in materials is 50 ppm, the caulking was considered hazardous material. Mathematically speaking, the caulking sample contained 760 times the EPA's allowable limit for PCB...."

To access the "PCBs in Schools" home page, go to http://www.pcbinschools.org/

--

Lenny Siegel Director, Center for Public Environmental Oversight c/o PSC, 278-A Hope St., Mountain View, CA 94041 Voice: 650/961-8918 or 650/969-1545 Fax: 650/961-8918 <lsiegel@cpeo.org> http://www.cpeo.org