2008 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 09:19:39 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] New York's Governor Spitzer proposes Brownfields reform

 From Governor Eliot Spitzer's
State of Upstate Address
Buffalo, NY
January 16, 2008

To fully address the shortage of development-ready land Upstate, we must
also face the hard reality that New York's Brownfields cleanup program
is failing.

This program was enacted in 2003 to provide incentives to remediate
contaminated land for new development. However, the program's formula is
broken, and - as a result - it too often provides massive taxpayer
subsidies for development that would have happened anyway. For example,
we don't need to be using millions of taxpayer dollars to underwrite a
luxury condominium project in Westchester while 3,000 acres of
brownfields in Rochester await investment.

Therefore, this year, we will submit new and improved legislation to
reform our Brownfields program so it can fulfill its original purpose of
creating development-ready sites where they are needed most, while also
protecting our environment.

For the entire speech, go to
http://www.ny.gov/governor/keydocs/0116081_speech.html