2008 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: LSchnapf@aol.com
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 23:31:45 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Scope of Brownfield Program-continued

I have to respectfully disagree with my friend from the other side of the pond.

If the problem with a site is the underlying social-economic conditions, shouldn't the problem be the focus of the public tools specially designed for economic development. Brownfield programs are intended to address the sites where the environmental issues are contributing to the under-utilization or development.

We have been having quite a debate in NY on the proper scope of the brownfield program. Upstate NY has lots of under-utilized sites that no amount of brownfield incentives could fix because it is the regional economy and not the contamination that is the obstacle for redevelopment. we have the most generous brownfield program in the country and it has not been enough of an incentive upstate because it does not change the underlying economic conditions.

CERCLA type legislation is not the answer either since we have had lots of sites cleaned up in NY but the sites remain un-used because the regional economy does not support an economically-viable reuse.

If a state brownfield program has limited funds, why should it be used to renovate an obsolete building when there is another redevelopment tool available. The limited state brownfield funding should be reserved for those sites where the contamination is the reason the site is not being redeveloped.

Larry

Lawrence Schnapf
Adjunct Professor-New York Law School
55 E.87th Street #8B/8C