2009 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: lsiegel at cpeo.org (Lenny Siegel)
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 00:28:02 -0800
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Jimmy's Bar & Grill, Benton Harbor, Michigan

New restaurant on Main?

Commission adds vacant building to Brownfield plan; New Buffalo eatery
owner to invest $1.1 million

JULIE SWIDWA
St. Joseph Herald Palladium (MI)
January 22, 2009

BENTON HARBOR - A new restaurant and up to 60 jobs could be coming to
downtown Benton Harbor later this year.

The City Commission has approved an addition to the city's Brownfield
plan, adding a parcel on which a New Buffalo restaurant owner wants to
open another Jimmy's Bar & Grill.

Jim Frye intends to invest $1.1 million in property at 200 E. Main St.,
demolishing a long-vacant building and developing a two-level restaurant
with a banquet and conference hall that will seat 150. Marc Florian,
consultant to the city's Brownfield Authority, told the City Commission
Tuesday that Frye intends to give Benton Harbor residents first priority
when he hires workers for jobs that will pay $7 to $15 an hour.

"When I put up my 'help wanted' sign, I would really like to hire
locally," Frye said in a phone interview Wednesday. "My thinking is, it
helps a restaurant when people come in and see people from their own
town working there. I want to draw as much as I can from the area and
help the local economy."

http://www.heraldpalladium.com/articles/2009/01/22/local_news/205529.txt

<lsiegel at cpeo.org>