2009 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: "Schnapf, Lawrence" <Lawrence.Schnapf@srz.com>
Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 12:20:37 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Disclosure Obligations

I appreciate and understand Bill's concerns. However, I think that if we
change the rules so that disclosure is required of all owners or
prospective purchasers who learn of contamination in exchange for
liability relief, the marketplace will adjust. Some property
owners/purchasers will disclose contamination they learn about out of an
abundance of caution due to their risk tolerance or perhaps corporate
philosophy. However, others may choose not disclose based on the RQ
loophole. The current structure essentially promotes a moral hazard.

In contrast, my proposal would level the playing field. If all
owners/purchasers have the same obligations (i.e. disclose of
contamination they learn about that exceeds applicable standards), I
just don't see these sites being ignored because of the value that can
be unlocked. The "animal spirits" will always prevail.

I think it is only fair that in exchange for liability relief that a
state and community learn about contamination. If the discloser
qualifies for one of the landowner defenses, then the decision would be
up to the state to pay for cleanup or pursue a responsible party.

And, I continue to believe that such an obligation is not an "undue
burden". The liability relief is the incentive to attact capital to
contaminated sites. Disclosure to me seems to be a minimal burden when
compared to liability relief.

Finally, clearly there needs to be a difference between the kind of
actions that a non-liable party should do to satisfy its "continuing
obligations" and a full-fledged cleanup. Reasonable minds can differ and
that could be an important detail to flesh out.

I do not believe for one moment that this is an easy change. However, I
think it would advance the goal we all have of expediting the cleanup of
sites.

I appreciate everyone's willingness to discuss and share their thoughts
on this issue. This is the kind of discussion that the nation very much
needs.

Larry