2009 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: "Colleen Kokas" <Colleen.Kokas@dep.state.nj.us>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 01:02:32 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Re: [CPEO-BIF] New jersey privatizes oversight

Just to clarify, it will be up to the Licensing Board to investigate violations of the Code of Ethics the LSRPs are bound by--not DEP.  DEP will only establish the temporary licensed professionals, after that, the testing will be developed and overseen by an independent Board.  Those with temporary licenses with have to pass the test in order to continue as a LSRP.  DEP actions will only be against the remediating parties--with respect to the cleanup activities.  Colleen

Colleen Kokas
NJ Dept of Environmental Protection
Assistant Commissioner's Office
Office of Brownfield Reuse
PO Box 028
Trenton, NJ  08625

Phone:  609-633-1499
Fax:       609-777-1914
email:    colleen.kokas@dep.state.nj.us
>>> "Trilling, Barry" <BTrilling@wiggin.com> 05/08/09 5:20 PM >>>
The question is not the adequacy of the Executive Order so much as the ability and the will of the state effectively to enforce the licensure requirements of the LSPs.  The legislature must give the DEP adequate resources to police the problem and DEP must make clear it is serious in maintaining the integrity of the system.  If these fundamental concerns can be met then it's a multiple win scenario for New Jersey:  more sites about which we are aware will be cleaned up; the public will have an expanded and more qualified base of qualified environmental professionals to work on these sites; owners of all sites, whether or not those sites have been acknowledged, will have a better selection of environmental professionals with whom they can work--- the fly-by-nighters and others who choose not be certified will soon find little work in the state because the market will have driven them out.  Much as we complain about the difficulty of brownfield cleanup in both MA and CT, our L!
 SP and LEP programs have given our states a high concentration of excellent environmental consultants.

Barry J. Trilling
 W I G G I N  A N D  D A N A