2009 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 08:29:26 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Wehadkee Yarn Mills, Talladega, Alabama

Stampfler defends Wehadkee purchase

By Chris Norwood
Daily Home (AL)
July 29, 2009

TALLADEGA - City manager Michael Stampfler said Tuesday the city's vote to finalize the purchase of two parcels formerly belonging to Wehadkee Yarn Mills was driven by the overall program to rehabilitate the city’s brownfields.

In May, the city was awarded a $400,000 federal grant to conduct environmental assessments of numerous abandoned industrial sites up and down the Battle Street corridor. Further grants, to actually clean up the sites, are expected in coming years.

"This process started in August," Stampfler said. "We held numerous public meetings and got all kinds of letters supporting the effort. The grant was awarded, with everyone assuming we would go from the assessment phase to the cleanup phase."

http://www.dailyhome.com/news/2009/dh-talladega-0729-cnorwood-9g28v3822.htm