2010 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 08:26:58 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] EPA's March 17 listening session is an opportunity

U.S. EPA's "Listening Session" on the All Appropriate Inquiries (AAI) Rule, governing non-intrusive environmental site assessments, is three weeks away. (9:30 a.m. to noon on March 17, 2010 at room 1153 of the EPA East Building at 1201 Constitution Ave. NW, Washington D.C). I encourage participants in the Brownfields Internet Forum, as well as others, to attend: to engage in what I hope will be the first stage of a dialogue to improve the EPA Rule, which was published in the Federal Register on November 1, 2005.

I was a member of the Negotiated Rulemaking Committee that developed the Rule, and I believe that it was a significant step forward. The performance-based approach that forms its core is a win-win solution that now helps to better identify potential environmental problems with only minimal increases in assessment costs.

Nevertheless, except in states where there are additional statutory requirements, the AAI process remains unsatisfactory in terms of public notification that a site assessment is being undertaken, public involvement in the collection of information, and public disclosure of the results.

It is my hope that those elements of the Rule can be improved, be it by revision of the rule, federal legislation, or state legislation and/or regulation. I recognize that many well-meaning participants in Brownfields redevelopment view such proposals as a threat to the entire Brownfields process, likely to kill deals that lead to additional environmental protection.

I see the March 17 event as an opportunity to try to reach common ground, to bring the public into the process without "killing the goose that laid the golden egg."

Before the Rule was finalized, I prepared a "A Stakeholder's Guide to 'All Appropriate Inquiries,'" available at http://www.cpeo.org/brownfields/SGAAI.pdf. It describes the rule and offers the following summary of my concerns:

"Unless the Phase One is being conducted in compliance with another environmental program, there is no requirement to ask for public input, or even to notify the public that a site assessment is underway. Furthermore, while the parties conducting the Inquiries may conduct sampling to meet the assessment's performance objectives, sampling is not required.

"These limitations are insignificant at most sites where there is no or little contamination. But at sites where it appears that human health and the environment are at serious risk, communities must demand that environmental regulatory agencies become actively involved.

"The Brownfields concept, which uses the demand for property reuse to promote the screening and remediation of blighted properties, can promote the protection of human health and the environment. But unless affected communities participate directly in the oversight of Brownfields activities, they risk the likelihood that developers and local agencies will simply sweep environmental problems 'under the rug.' The ... All Appropriate Inquiries rule can be a tool to ensure that environmental protection accompanies property redevelopment, but this is more likely to happen if the public is part of the process."

Lenny