2010 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 09:34:30 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Somerville, New Jersey landfill

Somerville moving forward on landfill work

By MARTIN C. BRICKETTO
mycentraljersey.com
April 6, 2010

The borough hopes to submit part of a clean-up plan for its former municipal landfill later this year.

"It allows us to start work on remediation in and around the green seam straight away; it adds value to the property and adds confidence that we're serious about doing what we're doing," Colin Driver, the borough's director of economic development, said Tuesday.

The remedial action work plan that could go to the state Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) as soon as October is expected to describe how a 40-acre area of wetlands and stream area known as the "green seam" should be cleaned up and also outline how other areas could be remediated as well.

Driver said the plan's submittal would be aided by filing information related to an investigation of bedrock-level contamination separately.

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/article/20100406/NEWS/4060346/-1/newsfront/Somerville-moving-forward-on-landfill-work