2010 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 10:18:13 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] BASF/American Enka mill property. Buncombe County, North Carolina

BASF/American Enka property plan clears hurdle for new development

By Joel Burgess
Asheville Citizen-Times (NC)
November 10, 2010

A massive brick clock tower off Smoky Park Highway is all that remains of American Enka, one of Buncombe County's premier 20th-century manufacturers.

Now the remnants of that textile plant, which once employed up to 6,000 people, could again help change the culture and economy of the county's western end.

Developers want to transform nearly 200 acres around the old BASF/American Enka property - including a formerly polluted "brownfields" site - into a commercial center with a greenway and sports fields.

"I just want to thank you all for taking on a project that involves cleaning up a brownfield site. Because I don't think there are many developers that want to take on that kind of site in this economy," Councilwoman Esther Manheimer said.

http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20101110/NEWS/311100041/1009