2011 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: "Larry Schnapf" <larry@schnapflaw.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 18:05:15 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Re: [CPEO-BIF] EPA's Inspector General reviews All Appropriate Inquiries reports

I agree with Lenny. What we have is a situation where EPA is issuing funds
to state brownfield programs without assuring the quality of the work. The
state agencies, in turn, seem motivated to hand out the money and also are
not vetting the quality of the work.

The OIG report by its very nature could not opine on the quality of the
assessments but could only really review the documentation portion of the
work. And on that score, the 35 reported batted a fat o for 35!

I can only wonder about the underlying qualify of those reports. The
Shenadoah LLC v Green Mountain Power case where a phase 1 funded by
brownfield assessment grant performed on an old mill only flagged asbestos
and lead-based paint and completely missed PCB/oil contamination is the
poster child for what is wrong.

Lawrence Schnapf
Schnapf Law Office
55 East 87th Street #8B
New York, New York 10128
212-756-2205 (p)
212-646-8483 (c)
Larry@SchnapfLaw.com
www.SchnapfLaw.com

Named to Chambers USA 2009-10 Client Guide of America's Leading Lawyers for
Business.

AV Preeminent Rating from Martindale-Hubbell

Listed in 2010 New York Super Lawyers-Metro Edition

Blog: Visit Schnapf Judgment on the commonground community at
http://commonground.edrnet.com/resources/9d51c3f88e/summary

Linked-In Blog: Environmental Issues in Business Transactions
http://www.linkedin.com/groups?mostPopular=&gid=3607181