2011 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 23:55:57 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Michigan's tax credit debate

Some worry Snyder budget plan could kill urban development in Michigan

Chris Knape
Grand Rapids Press (MI)
February 17, 2011

GRAND RAPIDS - Gov. Rick Snyder's proposed overhaul of the state budget and tax system puts a program that has been credited with revitalizing downtown Grand Rapids and other urban areas on the chopping block.

The state's brownfield and historic tax credit programs have been used for Grand Rapids projects ranging from the Medical Mile and the JW Marriott in downtown to a recently opened brewery East Hills neighborhood.

Developers generally resell the tax credits to other Michigan companies with tax liabilities in order to help secure bank financing to get projects off the ground. The value of credits awarded is based on a percentage (typically 12.5 percent) of the total investment in a property.

Developers say the credits help close the gap between the higher cost of reusing contaminated, obsolete or historic buildings and building new on an undeveloped greenfield site.

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2011/02/some_worry_snyder_budget_plan.html