2011 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 23:31:46 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Winchester rifle site, New Haven, Connecticut

Winchester Groundbreaking Offers Neighbors Hope

BY Uma Ramiah
New Haven Independent (CT)
April 7, 2011
Dennis Grimes stood by, in a white hard hat and work boots, as city officials lauded a new construction project as "New Haven’s future." For Grimes, the groundbreaking also represents a lifeline-for him and his family.

"I've been unemployed for two and a half years," he said, after a press conference Wednesday to announce the start of a five-year, $45 million rebuilding of the shuttered rifle factory on Winchester Avenue and Munson Street in Newhallville. "I'm a single man with five children - I really have to work."

"This gave me opportunity."

Crews broke ground Wednesday afternoon on the historic arms factory - where the rapidly expanding, New Haven-based company Higher One plans to move its headquarters once construction ends. The homegrown financial services organization hopes to keep and expand jobs in the city.

http://www.newhavenindependent.org/index.php/archives/entry/ groundbreaking_offers_a_lifeline/id_35398