2012 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <LSiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 10:23:28 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Fwd: Web Release of the Newtown Creek BOA Final Report 2012

Note, the report is a 61.2 MB  PDF file.

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brian Coleman <zBrianTColeman@gmdconline.org>
Date: October 24, 2012 7:44:27 AM PDT
To: Brian Coleman <zBrianTColeman@gmdconline.org>

Dear Concerned Community Member:

On behalf of our partners, Riverkeeper and the Newtown Creek Alliance, as well as our steering committee, the Greenpoint Manufacturing & Design Center is happy to announce the web release of our completed Step 2 Nomination Report for the Newtown Creek Brownfield Opportunity Area (BOA).

Newtown Creek was once the country’s most heavily industrialized waterways.  It has and continues to serve as a convergence of freight transportation infrastructure where maritime, rail and highway access come together to offer access not only to the New York City marketplace, but to points beyond as well.  Unfortunately today, the Newtown Creek is also one of the most polluted waterways in the country, and this fact makes the continued utilization of the creek as an economic engine that much more complicated. This Step 2 BOA Study recognizes this reality and offers realistic options and scenarios for future development.

The entire 282 page Report and Appendix is featured on the Newtown Creek Alliance and GMDC websites, and can be found by following this link:

This document is the work product of an outreach effort by all of the parties involved in the project that, in my estimation, is unprecedented.  We hope that this report will highlight the significant economic, environmental and infrastructure issues associated with the creek, as well as a series of recommendations that will allow for the development of a 21st century maritime industrial community on Newtown Creek. Thank you for your interest in this very important project.

Sincerely,

Brian T. Coleman
CEO