2015 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2015 11:33:06 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] "Ithaca [New York] gun factory site in decontamination mode"

Ithaca gun factory site in decontamination mode

By Samuel Whitehead
WRVO/NPR News
April 9, 2015

>From 1885 to 1986, the Ithaca Gun Company produced shotguns in a hillside factory northeast of downtown Ithaca. The factory’s smokestack still overlooks the city and Ithaca Falls.

In the years since, the site has been the focus of extensive environmental remediation. Now, stakeholders are approaching the beginning of the end of the cleanup.

When the company went bankrupt and left Ithaca, they left something behind, according to EPA spokesman Mike Basile. “Well, what we did discover, of course - and it wasn’t earth science to discover it—is that there was an awful lot of lead that was found on the site,” Basile says.

That lead came from the test firing of those Ithaca shotguns. Guns were test fired four times before they were sold, to make sure they were up to snuff.

…

For the entire story, see
http://wrvo.org/post/ithaca-gun-factory-site-decontamination-mode

278-A Hope Street