2017 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2017 15:03:15 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Publix and Florida's Brownfields tax incentives

Publix gets brownfield tax aid for Oviedo, Orlando sites

by Mary Shanklin
Orlando Sentinel (FL)
December 2, 2017

As mega-grocer Publix continues expanding, it is decontaminating property in east Seminole County for a shopping center — all with the help of government tax incentives.

Florida’s largest company will get as much as $580,000 for creating jobs and reclaiming once-toxic land at both the Oviedo site and a distribution center constructed near Orlando International Airport two years ago. Brownfields are property that might be contaminated by hazardous materials, pollutants or other contaminants. The state gives away tax credits to encourage redevelopment of the polluted land.

“We select a site based on what we feel is prime location to serve our customers. The Chuluota site was selected on the merits of the site alone. Unfortunately, the site required some cleanup from its prior use, which qualified the site as a brownfield,” said a spokesman for Publix.

…

For the entire article, see
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/classified/realestate/os-bz-publix-brownfield-20171202-story.html

Executive Director