2019 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2019 16:51:22 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Health impacts of TCE emissions in White Bear Township, Minnesota

State Health Leaders Address Pollution Investigation In State Health Leaders Address Pollution Investigation In White Bear Township

By Jennifer Mayerle
WCCO TV-4 News (Minneapolis, MN)
June 18, 2019

MINNEAPOLIS — For the first time, state health leaders are answering questions about a pollution investigation WCCO has been tracking for months.
We’ve been sharing stories about a manufacturing plant in White Bear Township that emitted a cancer-causing chemical called TCE for at least 17 years.

Now, the Minnesota Department of Health is opening up about what they know about Water Gremlin’s mistake and the impact on our health.

“There’s no doubt that what happened, as a result of the activity of Water Gremlin, it should not have happened,” Jim Kelly manager of environmental surveillance and assessment at the Minnesota Department of Health said. “People were exposed to TCE. They weren’t aware of it. The levels apparently were higher than we would have liked to have seen.”

White Bear Township and surrounding neighborhoods fall in the area of exposure concern, and the community has repeatedly voiced its concerns — and Kelly has heard them.

…

For the entire story, see
https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2019/06/18/state-leader-health-concerns-tce/

Executive Director