2019 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2019 01:05:42 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] "EPA Explains Former Sporlan Plant Cleanup"

EPA Explains Former Sporlan Plant Cleanup

By Spencer Michelson
Missourian
July 22, 2019

The primary concern at the shuttered Sporlan Valve plant on East Seventh Street in Washington is vapors that could end up in homes.

The EPA is most concerned with vapor inhalation of the TCE, according to Isabel Villaneda-van Vloten, the remedial project manager.

“We don’t see any contamination at the surface. It’s a discreet site,” Villaneda-van Vloten said. “What we are most concerned about is vapor intrusion. What can happen is the contamination is in the soil or in the bedrock or in groundwater and because it’s volatile, it can get into the air. What we are concerned about is it eventually ends up inside homes and other structures.”

…

For the entire article, see
http://www.emissourian.com/local_news/washington/epa-explains-former-sporlan-plant-cleanup/article_c5253768-aa53-11e9-9484-773217832021.html

Executive Director