2019 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2019 21:35:53 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] TCE and PCE from Hi-Shear (Torrance, CA) spread to Lomita

Lomita Residents Now Part of Torrance Contamination Zone

By Zarina Khairzada
Spectrum News 1 (Los Angeles, CA)
July 29, 2019

LOMITA, Calif. - Recently, some Lomita residents have been thinking twice about the water they drink and the air they breathe. Seth Brownlie is one of them.

“I grew up in Michigan around Flint. So, it definitely gets me thinking of that. I don’t want Lomita to become the situation they are dealing with,” Brownlie said.

That’s probably why he also sticks to bottled water.

Brownlie’s home is near the source of a groundwater and soil vapor contamination site in Torrance that spread east to the City of Lomita. The groundwater that’s contaminated isn’t the same source that the city uses for drinking water. But the odorless soil vapors could impact the air residents breathe in the vicinity of 245th Street to 250th Street, extending to Pennsylvania Avenue.

…

For the entire story, see
https://spectrumnews1.com/ca/la-west/news/2019/07/29/lomita-residents-now-part-of-torrance-contamination-zone-

Executive Director