2022 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <LSiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2022 11:08:29 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] "Community members want fishing lake near [Union Pacific] toxic site tested, but state says it’s not necessary," Wichita, Kansas

Community members want fishing lake near toxic site tested, but state says it’s not necessary.
The state says its data and models show the lake doesn’t need to be tested.

By Celia Hack, Trace Salzbrenner
KMUW Public Radio/Wichita Beacon (KS)
October 13, 2022

On a chilly Saturday morning in Wichita, K-96 Fishing Lake is quiet — only one fisherman sits peacefully on the dock, watching the ducks. He has multiple fishing lines out but isn’t having any luck.

The lake just south of the highway along Hydraulic is a well-known fishing hub in the nearby community. Workers at a local bait shop said they’d been fishing there for years, catching and eating the crappie and catfish stocked by the state.

“I used to fish there and always threw back,” said City Council member Brandon Johnson. “But I also know people who take the fish out and eat it.”

…

For the entire article, see
https://www.kmuw.org/news/2022-10-13/fishing-lake-near-toxic-site

—