2005 CPEO Installation Reuse Forum Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 26 Aug 2005 01:00:05 -0000
Reply: cpeo-irf
Subject: [CPEO-IRF] Louisiana considers New Orleans plan

Opinions differ on impact of BRAC, Federal City plan

Keith Brannon
BizNewOrleans
August 25, 2005

NEW ORLEANS — Louisiana’s top economic development official said today that the state needs more information from the federal government before it will commit money to a proposed Federal City complex in Algiers.

The state’s offer to build the complex to house operations from the Naval Support Activity is what prompted the Base Realignment and Closure Commission yesterday to recommend sparing the base if the state can come up with financing by late 2008.

But state Economic Development Secretary Michael Olivier said officials are waiting to see whether or not the number of actual jobs and economic impact of the project justifies the expense.

“The economic impact is what we are after,” Olivier said. “We know what the economic impact (of the Naval Support Activity) is right now. We have to retain that. So if that is maintained, we will go forward with Federal City and grow it.”

Meanwhile, a consultant with the Spectrum Group of Virginia, which assisted the state in preparation for the BRAC process, said today that he believes Louisiana remains committed to the development project.

http://bizneworleans.com/109+M5453af311a5.html

-- Lenny Siegel Director, Center for Public Environmental Oversight c/o PSC, 278-A Hope St., Mountain View, CA 94041 Voice: 650/961-8918 or 650/969-1545 Fax: 650/961-8918 http://www.cpeo.org _______________________________________________ Installation_Reuse_Forum mailing list Installation_Reuse_Forum@list.cpeo.org http://www.cpeo.org/mailman/listinfo/installation_reuse_forum