2006 CPEO Installation Reuse Forum Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 31 Jan 2006 23:11:45 -0000
Reply: cpeo-irf
Subject: [CPEO-IRF] Letter re South Weymouth (MA) privatized cleanup

To: Secretary Stephen R. Pritchard EOEA
      Attn: MEPA Office
      Aisling Eglington, EOEA No. 11085R
      100 Cambridge St. Suite 900
      Boston, Ma. 02114

From: David Wilmot, Abington Massachusetts resident & founding member of Abington, Weymouth And Rockland Environmental Studies (AWARES),
Longtime and dedicated participant in the former South Weymouth Naval Air Station(SWNAS) Base Restoration and Cleanup(BRAC) Restoration and Advisory Board(RAB) process, Amateur Naturalist, Public and Environmental Justice Health Advocate, Christian son, brother, husband, father, sick guy, retired Lead Systems Analyst and Gate Keeper for PNC-PFPC financial services-Boston.

Date: 01-30-06

Re: Redevelopment of former SWNAS Change of Scope Public Comments

Mr. Secretary and Ms. Eglington

Please accept this document to be entered into the public record as comments stating public concerns for MEPA action 11085R.

These concerns may well spill into what may be deemed outside the parameters of this specific public comment periods request, but I assure you they are not.

This comment is to alert the Secretary to the grave problems that riddle this federal BRAC process which through an incredibly complex political web damns the health of my children and all other children being reared in proximity to recognized National Priority List(NPL) Superfund(CERCLA) sites. Many of these sites, like the one in my backyard, are former military installations. Due to the incredible costs of environmental cleanup the federal Department of Defense (DOD) is pushing "Fast Track" restoration measures, which serve to "get the military out of the cleanup business", and return unclean and toxic properties into the public domain.

See attached for the entire letter.