2006 CPEO Installation Reuse Forum Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 4 May 2006 04:58:41 -0000
Reply: cpeo-irf
Subject: [CPEO-IRF] Weymouth Naval Air Station (MA) school site

Toxins cause concern over site of school on airbase

By Ed Baker
Weymouth News (MA)
May 3, 2006

A considerable amount of hazardous contaminants at the former South Weymouth Naval Air Station must be removed or entombed before the site can be fully developed by LNR Property Corporation, according to state and federal environmental officials.

Weymouth resident Peter Scannell said the pollutants pose potential health risks to children who will attend a school LNR plans to erect on Building 81, a defunct maintenance facility.

"Building 81 had to be destroyed because the air within it was deadly," Scannell said to Town Council on Monday. "A toxic solvent plume has built up deep beneath the soil after decades of being used to drain military cleaning solvents directly into the earth. This is one of the many Super Fund sites. What deplorable minds think Weymouth residents are willing to risk our 384-year reputation as a town able to care for all we have invited to live here."

http://www2.townonline.com/weymouth/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=484902