2006 CPEO Installation Reuse Forum Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 5 Oct 2006 16:50:00 -0000
Reply: cpeo-irf
Subject: [Fwd: Re: [CPEO-IRF] Official release, Camp Bonneville (WA) transfer approval]

From: DCatbird37@aol.com

Lenny,

I was sorry to see this Camp Bonneville posting.

   For the past 8 years I've used all my strength to stop a precedent
setting early transfer here on the former South Weymouth Naval Air
Station. Allowing the Department of Defense to circumvent CERCLA law to
rid itself of toxic property is an unjust practice and now a precedent
has been set to make this "Covenant Deferral Request" circumvention of
Superfund law an accepted practice. Allowing our government to escape
once mandated Superfund cleanups prior to transferring contaminated
military bases to the private sector is a gross negligence to the
citizens left behind to deal with subsequent health fallout.

    While the current administration sacrifices countless lives and
hundreds of billions of dollars into the Mid-East desert sands, they
fail to provide the 2 billion required for a much-needed National
Children's Health Study, and will now begin a process of unloading
contaminated military properties prior to responsible environmental
remediation.

     I've been in close contact with a Bonneville RAB member the past
couple years to see if I could help her "Early Transfer" from happening.
Just as my family and neighbor's health issues got me involved with my
own quest for Environmental Justice here, my Bonneville RAB friend found
her drive via her autistic son.

     There are tangible reasons behind the chronic health problems that
plague neighborhoods in proximity to former military facilities, but
our national leadership finds huge cleanup costs easier to pass on to
others. Those most silent former host communities are left with heavy
health burdens on them, their children, and their future progeny.
Incredible Injustice.

Dave Wilmot, Abington Ma.

--

Lenny Siegel Director, Center for Public Environmental Oversight c/o PSC, 278-A Hope St., Mountain View, CA 94041 Voice: 650/961-8918 or 650/969-1545 Fax: 650/961-8918 <lsiegel@cpeo.org> http://www.cpeo.org